Monday, April 9, 2012

Tribute to John

written by Alan Chaffin


On Saturday, April 7, I was honored and humbled to be part of a Memorial Service to celebrate, not the death, but the life of a my courageous 29 year old friend, John. On Thursday March 29, John's incredible 5+ year battle with brain cancer ended with him passing from his family and friends that loved him very much into the presence of his Savior, Jesus Christ.

In May 1983, my wife Robin and I began attending Lebanon Baptist Church. It was there through Sunday School that we met John's parents, Bill and Joy (at that time John was only 3 months old). We developed a quick relationship with Bill and Joy that through the years became a very dear friendship. As a result of that, we were proud to watch John, and his older brother Michael, grow up through childhood into fine young men. 

John achieved a number of accolades and awards during his youth, including becoming an Eagle Scout (like his big brother) and serving as Drum Major for his high school band. After graduating from Georgia Southern in 2005 (where among other things John was a founding member of his college fraternity, Delta Chi), John settled into his job at Verizon and was ready to start his adult life of achieving the "American Dream." After having watched John achieve so much in his first 22 years, I was confident that he would be successful in whatever he wanted.

In December, 2006, John's (and Bill and Joy's) life was suddenly put into a tailspin when he was diagnosed with Stage 4 Brain Cancer. After surgery, he began a courageous and heroic battle to beat this dreaded disease. For the next 5+ years, John with the unending love and support of his parents, began a journey that touched the lives of countless number of people (many of whom were praying for John that did not even know him personally).

Shortly after John's initial surgery, and a recuperation period at his parent's home, John returned to Alpharetta to live on his own (albeit with a brain tumor !). It was not long after that, Robin and I began meeting John for dinner on a regular basis. Very quickly, our relationship escalated as John went from being the very special son of a friend to being a very special friend. Those dinners became very special to Robin and I as we drew even closer to John. We watched close hand on a regular basis as a handsome, respectful and humble young man courageously took on a dreadful adversity that Robin and I could not fathom. As the months passed, John's infectuous smile continued to be present whenever we got together. After a few years of positive reports, as we headed to the latter half of 2011, John's tumor was beginning to beat its treatment.

I will never forget our last dinner with just the three of us at California Pizza Kitchen in December 2011. John had made the decision to move back to his parents home in Tallulah Falls. While it was somewhat apparent that John's physical condition was starting to deteriorate, we still were able (just like the dozens of other times we had met) to laugh and share and enjoy each other's company despite a 25+ year age difference.


While we never got together again with just the three of us, John's parents graciously allowed Robin and I to be part of their "last" family Florida vacation with John in February. During those days together, we knew John's time with us was short. I will always remember those last couple of nights I was there sitting with Michael, as he tried to help his brother swallow a number of pills. Even then, John was battling with all the strength he could maintain.

The last time I saw John before he left us was on Wednesday, March 14th (15 days before he died) at his parents home. While the cancer had physically ravaged John, I was able to see him one final time on this Earth and before we left that night, as I told him goodbye and I loved him, his final words to me were that he loved me too.

John is free of pain and battles now. He leaves a legacy behind that touches people all over the country. I am so thankful to my God that he created the situations that brought John (and Bill, Joy and Michael) into mine and Robin's life. As an avid sports fan, I have had a number of "heroes" in my 56 years. But, I have never had a closer relationship with a "real life" hero as I had with John Purvis. I do not know how long my life will be here on Earth, but I do know that John's life will never be far from my thoughts.

I love you John ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment